Chipmunks & Squirrels Around Your Augusta Yard Are More Of A Threat Than You May Think
March 16, 2020 - Wildlife
What's more fun than watching darling, sweet little wildlife creatures frolicking in your backyard? Birds hopping around, chipmunks darting about, squirrels chasing each other from tree to tree. Hey, it's free entertainment, right? But when one or more of those creatures decide to take up residence inside your garage or attic, or any other place inside your home, the entertainment suddenly changes from a comedy to a tragedy. Here's why.
Having any kind of rodents in your home spells bad news. While mice and rats are much more likely to get into your Augusta home, sometimes those cute little "yard rats" or "Chip 'n Dales" can get in too. When they do, here's some of the bad news that comes in with them:
- Rodents can ruin your sleep. Even though squirrels and chipmunks are diurnal (awake during the daytime) and not nocturnal (night dwellers, like mice and rats), they can still disturb sleep if they are up at the crack of dawn making noise in your attic spaces.
- Rodents chew holes and displace insulation. When squirrels or chipmunks get into attic areas, they sometimes make the holes they got in through larger, and they can disturb insulation. Both of these things will allow heat to escape which will increase your heating bills.
- Rodents leave feces and urine everywhere. Wherever squirrels and chipmunks roam in your attic or wall voids, they will leave their excrement. If this goes on for an extended time, there will be a smell.
- Rodents can bite or scratch. If they are cornered or protecting their young, squirrels or chipmunks can bite or scratch.
- Rodents bring in parasites. The parasites they carry can spread diseases to your family, diseases such as Lyme disease which is transmitted by infected ticks. And you're probably aware that Lyme disease is only one of many scary diseases that can be spread by ticks. A squirrel or a chipmunk can have more than a hundred seed ticks on its body.
- Rodents chew on everything. With teeth that never stop growing, squirrels and chipmunks have a need to chew on things. And chew they will! They can chew on anything from wooden structures, to electrical wires, to treasured keepsakes in your attic.
- Rodents can make ways for other pests to get into your home. When squirrels and chipmunks make holes in your roof areas, all sorts of other pests can use those holes to get in as well.
Some Squirrel And Chipmunk Prevention Tips
- Don't feed the animals.
- Trim tree branches away from your walls and roof areas.
- Place wire mesh inside the bottoms of your gutter downspouts.
- Remove water sources.
- Seal up your home.
- Repair or replace ripped or torn window screens.
- Make sure your yard is clutter-free
How The Pros At Bug Busterzzz Can Help
If you are facing squirrels or chipmunks that have found a way into your garage or attic spaces, or any other area in your home, call on the professionals at Bug Busterzzz Pest Control. We are ready to help by safely and humanely removing those rodents. We can also help reduce populations of squirrels and chipmunks on your property. Fall is a busy time for rodents in Augusta. To schedule an inspection or service, or to have any questions answered, reach out to us today. We are here to help.
Squirrels and chipmunks are great entertainment when they stay outside where they belong. Get control of wildlife invaders with a little help from the friendly professionals at Bug Busterzzz. We don't just protect Augusta homes from bugs!
Bug Busterzzz has always provided us with wonderful reliable service! We have not had any issues with mice, ants or spiders since starting service and know if we have issues they will be out right away! Thanks for all you do!
Recent Blog Articles
January 15, 2023
Have bed bugs made their way into your Augusta home? Find out the signs of bed bugs, how an infestation spreads, and how to make bed bug control easy.Read More
December 15, 2022
Learn why do-it-yourself pest control may not save you time or money and why you should use professional pest control.Read More