Everything You Need To Know To Keep Spiders Out Of Your Augusta Home
August 14, 2020 - Spiders
As the weather continues to get warmer, more pests are making their presence known. One such pest is the spider. In Augusta and throughout the state of Maine, there are hundreds of species of spiders. While it’s true that all spiders have fangs and venom, there are only two types of spiders that are medically dangerous within the United States.
These two spiders are black widows and brown recluse spiders. Bites from either may require prompt medical attention. Fortunately, both are extremely rare in this area, which makes them a nearly nonexistent concern. Regardless of how dangerous or safe a spider might be, the final consensus is that they don’t belong in your Augusta home.
What Attracts Spiders?
Like with other pests, there are things about your home or property that attract spiders. Some of these can’t be prevented, while others are easily addressed. The most common factors driving spider attraction are:
- Weather conditions. Spiders don’t like extremes when it comes to weather. For this reason, they move quickly to seek shelter from the elements.
- Food. Spiders are opportunistic, which means if they can identify a viable food source, then they will make themselves at home. Most spiders prey on insects. If you’re noticing a heavy spider presence it might be due to a different pest infestation.
- Dark conditions. Spiders like dark and secluded spots. If they can get in easily, they may just decide to check out your basement, crawl space, or attic.
- Damaged areas. Spiders are able to fit in nearly any crack, crevice, or hole. Keep in mind these pests are hunters so if they’re looking for food and see an opening, they will barge right in.
Spider Prevention At Its Finest
Fortunately, there are ways to prevent spiders from making it inside your home. Some of the most popular methods are:
- Trim the bushes. Spiders get into the bushes and other vegetation all of the time. If any vegetation is close to the home, you can count on it acting as a bridge into your home for spiders.
- Clear clutter. For spiders, clutter or messy environments equal perfect hiding places. They don’t like being in the open. The more they can hide, the more comfortable they feel. Take away their comfort by removing the clutter.
- Seal doors and windows. We briefly touched on this attraction. It’s also an opportunity for prevention. Take the time to patrol the perimeter and identify all holes and cracks. Once sealed, this will not only keep spiders out but also other pests.
- Remove webs. Did you know that web building is hard work? It’s why spiders try to keep their webs intact as long as they can. The quicker you remove any webs you find, the more obvious it becomes to spiders that they aren’t welcome.
Spider Control With Bug Busterzzz Pest Control
At Bug Busterzzz Pest Control, our team of Augusta pest professionals is committed to eliminating troublesome pest invaders from your home and property. We ensure that you can be pest-free all year long. That’s why we offer eco-friendly pest control options and special services for spiders and many other pests. No matter what your pest concern is, you can count on us to be there for you from start to finish.
Are you in need of spider control services for your Augusta home? Give us a call to speak with one of our agents about our professional pest management options or fill out our online form to schedule your free inspection.
We used Bug Busterzzz for a rat issue (thanks to our neighbors with pigs and cows!) They were very prompt on coming out and setting up traps. They also did some spray foam under our sink. They came back weekly to reset traps and our issue is now gone! Knock on wood! Thanks Bug Busterzzz!
Recent Blog Articles
September 15, 2022
Is there a secret to keeping fall invaders out of your Augusta home? Here’s what local homeowners need to know. Read More
August 15, 2022
How do spiders invade homes here in Augusta? Find out today and learn what you should be doing to prevent these pests.Read More