Our bodies are not designed to be too hot or too cold. That's why sitting next to a fire on a cold day is so relaxing, and jumping into a cold lake on a hot day is so refreshing. Mice are the same way. When the weather outside gets cold, mice start looking for a warm place to be. Does your home have everything they need; food, water, and a never-ending supply of warmth?
What Mice Look Like
Have you ever visited a pet store and looked at the pet mice running around inside their cages? If so, you know what to look for in your home. Mice are small furry creatures with long tails, rounded ears, and pointy noses. Their color varies depending on the species.
Problems That Come With A Mouse Infestation
It can be hard to imagine mice being any kind of trouble when looking at them at the pet store. The truth is, wild mice are trouble. There is nothing stopping them from running through garbage, chewing on things, and going to the bathroom wherever they wish. Mice having freedom inside homes always leads to problems. Just from coming in contact with mouse urine, excrement, or a dead carcass you run the risk of getting sick. Some of the common diseases mice have been known to carry include:
- Bubonic Plague
- Rat-Bite Fever.
If that wasn’t enough, rodents are also destructive, chewing and tearing apart anything they can get their teeth on. This becomes extra troubling when they start chewing through walls and through electrical wiring and utility piping, as this can lead to more extensive damage caused by flooding or fire.
Prevention Tips For Mice
- Check the exterior of your home for gaps, cracks, or holes mice could use to get inside. (anything smaller than a nickel). Seal these areas up using steel wool and a caulking gun.
- Clean clutter from your yard so that mice have no place to hide on your property.
- Make sure your trashcans have tight-fitting lids.
- Clean regularly, making sure no messes are out for mice to find.
- Store leftover food inside airtight containers.
- Store boxed foods such as cereal in large plastic containers.
How Bug Busterzzz Can Help Get Mice Out
If you are here today looking for a solution for an existing mouse infestation, the professionals here at Bug Busterzzz Pest Control can help. We can send one of our professionals you way ASAP. They will make sure your home gets and stays mice-free.