Six Simple Spider Control Tips For Augusta Homeowners
August 13, 2021 - Spiders
Spiders are some of the most feared pests for homeowners. It could be thanks to urban legends or simply because of their strange appearance, but spiders are sure to cause terror wherever they go.
The truth is that most of the spiders in Augusta are harmless, but that doesn’t mean they’re welcome in your house. By following a few simple spider control tips, you can help to prevent unwanted arachnids in your Augusta home.
What To Know About Spiders
Spiders aren’t all bad. Yes, there are several venomous species in the U.S. that could potentially send you to the emergency room. But by and large, the spiders you’ll encounter in Augusta would rather be left alone and aren’t capable of serious harm. They would much rather hunt down the house flies in your home than bite you or your family.
But although they might not have potent venom like a black widow, some spiders will still bite if threatened, and you certainly don’t want to share your living space with them.
Types Of Spiders In Augusta
Maine might not be the first state that comes to mind when you think of spiders, but the Pine Tree State is home to around 700 recognized spider species, with 91 new species identified in 2020 alone. But while there may be hundreds of different types of spiders in Augusta, only a few are likely to found in your home. They include:
- Cellar spiders – Most cellar spiders measure around 5/16 of an inch long and are pale yellow or brown in color. They can be recognized for their extra-long legs and relatively small bodies.
- Wolf spiders – Wolf spiders can grow to an inch or larger and are usually gray or brown. These spiders are often hairy and hunt their prey on foot rather than using a web.
- House spiders – House spiders grow to around 1/4 inch long and can be recognized for their large, rounded abdomen with black or yellow patterns, but may appear in a variety of colors. They are known to weave and then abandon their webs if prey is insufficient.
Simple Spider Prevention Tips
When it comes to preventing spiders in your Augusta home, the most important thing to keep in mind is that you need to control the population of bugs that spiders prey on as well as the spiders themselves. Some simple spider prevention tips you can try are:
- Reduce moisture – Fix dripping faucets and leaky pipes where pests can get a drink. Ventilate basement areas by opening windows and using an electric fan, or install a dehumidifier.
- Clean up – Get rid of any crumbs or spills that could attract pests that spiders feed on. Sweep, mop, or vacuum floors regularly to reduce food debris.
- Reduce clutter – Spiders often hide out in piles of clutter. Keep any rubbish off the floor and discard or organize your belongings to eliminate spots where spiders can hide.
- Clear debris – Remove any excess yard waste or debris like leaf piles, sticks, or lawn trimmings. Try to relocate stacks of firewood at least 20 feet away from the house.
- Get rid of trash – Make sure not to leave trash indoors where it can attract bugs. Dispose of trash regularly and try to rinse out food and beverage containers before recycling.
- Call the pros – The best way to deal with spiders is to deal with the pests they prey on. With support from the professionals at Bug Busterzzz Pest Control, you can count on high-quality residential pest control services that will exceed your expectations. Whether you’ve got spiders or any other pest infesting your property, we’ll eliminate the problem safely and effectively so you can get back to enjoying life in Augusta.
Contact us today for more information!
Bug Busterzzz has always provided us with wonderful reliable service! We have not had any issues with mice, ants or spiders since starting service and know if we have issues they will be out right away! Thanks for all you do!
Recent Blog Articles
December 15, 2021
Because pest problems never go away, Augusta residents should know the most effective ways to control these critters. Learn how in today's article!Read More
November 15, 2021
Having voles on your property can result in extensive damage to trees and plants. Call the professionals for help today at Bug Busterzzz Pest Control.Read More