Augusta is a beautiful city with plenty to offer its residents and visitors. However, like any other city, it has its share of pests, including mosquitoes. These pesky insects can transmit diseases to both humans and animals, so it's essential to take steps to control them.
Fortunately, there are ways to control mosquitoes without using harsh chemicals. If you're looking for an eco-friendly solution to your mosquito problem, it's best to consult an Augusta pest control contractor. They'll be able to recommend the best course of action to get rid of mosquitoes.
What Is The Purpose Of Mosquitoes In Augusta?
Mosquitoes are an essential part of the ecosystem. They:
- Play a crucial role in the food chain: Mosquitoes are a food source for many animals, including birds, bats, and spiders.
- Help control the population of other pests: Mosquitoes eat insects like flies and beetles, which can harm plants.
- Serve as pollinators: Mosquitoes transfer pollen between flowers and help these plants reproduce.
- Source honeydew: Mosquitoes eat a sweet substance called honeydew that's produced by aphids and other insects. In turn, fish, birds, and other animals eat mosquitoes.
- Transfer biomass: Mosquitoes can move genes between different plants, which helps them adapt.
While you may want to get rid of mosquitoes, it's worth remembering that they have a critical role in the environment. It's also best to use natural ways to get rid of mosquitoes whenever possible and only opt for chemicals as a last resort.
A Brief History Of Mosquito Control
Mosquito control has been around for centuries. The first attempts at controlling them were made in the early 1900s when scientists started to study their life cycle and behavior for effective ways to kill mosquitoes. In the 1940s and 1950s, chemicals like DDT were used to kill mosquitoes. While this effectively reduced mosquito populations, it also had harmful side effects on the environment and human health.
In more recent years, scientists have developed new natural ways to get rid of mosquitoes to control their numbers. These include using traps to catch them, releasing predatory insects into the environment, and using bacteria that kill larvae.
The Diseases Mosquitoes Can Transmit
There are about 200 different species of mosquitoes in the United States which live in specific habitats. Mosquitoes carry diseases that afflict humans, but they can also transmit several diseases and parasites to dogs and horses. Some illnesses mosquitoes spread are:
- Malaria is a parasite. The symptoms of malaria include fever, chills, and headaches.
- West Nile virus is a severe disease that can cause fever, headache, and body aches. In some cases, it can lead to encephalitis or meningitis.
- Eastern equine encephalitis is a disease that can cause fever, headache, vomiting, and seizures. It can be fatal in up to 30% of cases.
- Dog heartworm is an illness that can cause fever, coughing, and weight loss. If left untreated, it can be fatal.
- Zika virus is a new virus linked to congenital disabilities.
- Dengue fever is a sickness that can cause fever, headache, and joint pain.
While not all mosquito-borne illnesses are common in Augusta, it's still good to be cautious.
Natural Ways To Keep Mosquitoes Away From Your Yard
If you are looking for natural ways to kill mosquitoes, you should consult an Augusta pest control contractor. They'll be able to recommend the best course of action, such as the best plants to get rid of mosquitoes.
However, natural ways to kill mosquitoes include:
- Eliminate any standing water where they like to breed:
- Install a bat house as bats eat mosquitoes and can help to reduce their numbers.
- Install a bug zapper. This will kill adult mosquitoes.
- Use mosquito traps. These traps use chemicals or bait to attract mosquitoes and then kill them.
- Release predatory insects into the environment, such as dragonflies, ladybugs, and praying mantises.
- Apply bacteria that kill larvae, such as Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis.
Bug Busterzzz Pest Control is a full-service pest control company that offers eco-friendly mosquito control in Augusta. Contact us today to get rid of mosquitoes using natural methods.