The squirrels that invade your Augusta property can be more of a menace than you would expect, especially if you have a large number of these rodents invading your yard. Our article tells you everything you need to know about keeping squirrels away from your property for good.
The Types Of Squirrels That Hang Around Augusta Yards
Several squirrels are present in Augusta that you may commonly see hanging around your yard. We will give a brief description of each kind of squirrel:
- Eastern Grey Squirrel: Medium-sized with a coat that spans all grey colors and may even appear black.
- American Red Squirrel: Smaller, generally reddish or coppery in color.
- Fox Squirrel: Medium-sized, reddish underbelly with a greyish brown top coat of fur.
- Flying Squirrel (both southern and northern varieties): Small and typically greyish or dark brown in color.
The Diseases Squirrels In Augusta Are Capable Of Spreading
Many individuals may not realize it, but squirrels are rodents, and, like many other rodents, they can easily spread disease. The diseases that squirrels carry include tularemia, salmonellosis, typhus, leptospirosis, plague, and ringworm, and they are typically transmitted through bites or another direct contact with a squirrel. You may also pick up these illnesses from accumulated squirrel urine and feces, something that occurs when a large squirrel population is infesting your yard or interior area of your property.
Many of these diseases can create serious consequences and even be deadly when left untreated. Always seek immediate medical attention if you contact squirrel droppings or are bitten by one of these critters.
Effective Squirrel Prevention Tips For Augusta Properties
One of the best ways to keep squirrels away from your property is to follow the below squirrel prevention tips:
- Don't feed squirrels around your property and work to ensure that all bird feeders have squirrel protection on them. This will make your property less welcoming to this pest.
- Make sure all tree branches and overhanging foliage are trimmed away from your property’s walls and roof areas, as this will prevent squirrels from jumping onto your property.
- Take time to place wire mesh at the bottom of your gutters to stop squirrels from climbing up the downspouts.
- Address any moisture issues around your property, including birdbaths and places of poor drainage. Removing standing water and fixing leaks can deter squirrels from seeking a drink on your property.
- Inspect your home, paying particular attention to the roof and the chimney. Invest in a chimney cap and ensure all gaps or cracks in your property’s foundation are sealed up.
- Reduce the clutter in your yard and keep the grass trimmed low, in addition to removing large amounts of debris. This makes the area less hospitable to squirrels looking to hide out.
The Safest Way To Keep Squirrels Away From Your Augusta Property
While many individuals may attempt to remove a squirrel problem independently, this can be dangerous. Coming into contact with squirrels directly may put you at risk for bites and the many health problems they bring. Instead, let the professionals at Bug Busterzzz Pest Control help you out. Trusting the experts is the safest way to keep squirrels away from your property for good and ensure that any infestations of this pest are entirely taken care of, so you can reclaim your property.